'Mosquito Song'. - Queens of the StoneAge

Rather a disgusting lyric to this song, if you know it, but relevant to today nonetheless.

Critter count: one gorgeous mummy moose with her delicious baby. You made our day Mrs Mousse!

We left bright and clearly taking the Yellowhead Highway west. The scenery was a little dull, at first, but soon prettied up and snowy mountains graced the horizon. We wanted to bash on a bit and cover some miles but we were waylaid in Smithers.

I had woken up this morning with what I thought was a mosquito bite on my finger which was rather swollen and sore. Nothing new there as I have been eaten alive over the last few days despite our arsenal of anti bug devices.

My hand continued to swell and was soon red and throbbing like on a 'Tom and Jerry' cartoon when Jerry bashes Tom's paw with a hammer. We called in at a pharmacy that happened to be open in this little populated area and were advised to see a doctor at the medical centre in Smithers an hour and a half away.

The diagnosis was an infected black fly bite - glamorous eh? For my more delicate readers I will refrain from showing you the photos. The charming Dr. spent all of six minutes with me, including writing my prescription, and I went to the front desk to pay.

Dear readers; be very grateful for the NHS. Stop moaning about it immediately. The consultation fee, set by the Canadian Government, was $600! Yes, that's right, $600 and that did not include the drug charges which were getting on for $100.

Some expensive fly.

I am a hand invalid but managing heroically to type, with my little finger only, this missive.

We are staying in Old Hazleton for the night on a lovely RV park on an Indian reservation. We are rather taken with the whole place but you will have to wait to hear all about it as this patient has to rest on Dr A's orders.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 day ceremony

To Bhutan...