'Ca a a lifornia I'm coming home, oh will you take me as I am.. '

Such a rich seam to choose from today, but it could only be Joni Mitchell who wrote 'Blue' just for me. I could have used 'Hotel California' because (whisper) we are staying in a hotel for two days. After the heat that we have just endured I don't feel too much guilt. Also, if we weren't, we would have missed out on another astonishing coincidence. Andreas, one of our P2P companeros, was standing in the hotel lobby as we walked through the door! He's staying with his children for a few days and we have just enjoyed dinner together. I only booked the hotel this morning. What are the chances? The world is small indeed.

Desert behind us. Equilibrium restored. A cool L. A. only 72F and yes, it does feel a bit like coming home. I always like visiting L. A. Tomorrow we will visit the Farmer's Market and then wander through The Grove, (shopping!) among other things.

We left our campsite very early (3.00am) this morning as sleep eluded us with a 'low' of 90F! My fault really as Adrian had suggested a hotel last night because of the extreme heat, but I felt it was too defeatist. In the end I was the one defeated as the heat did not bother Adrian so much. Silly me. No such qualms today. We drove across the desert and stopped in the first open place we found after driving for 60 miles a McD's - a very welcome sight - I don't think that I've ever said that before - but with free wifi, air-con and clean loos we were very happy. They even serve blueberry porridge - who knew? We moved on to Palm Desert where we both had a pedicure ( a first for Shooter, A.) and I had a blow dry. I don't think that my feet would have been allowed into L. A. otherwise; I'm surprised that we weren't turned back at the border the state my hooves were in.

Palm Springs must surely be the windmill capital of the universe. We passed thousands upon thousands of them. We decided not to carry on on 66 but rather to take the more southerly route across to the pacific as we have both been through the Mojave and Death valley before, me, several times. I was interested, and had planned, on going through the Joshua Tree NP but, in the end, we just went on I-10 as the heat was too much, the sea was beckoning and we had already seen endless, wonderful, ever changing, desert vistas.

We hit the Pacific at Playa Del Rey, where my Aunt Margaret lived fifty years ago. The sea sparkled and the sands were golden.

It feels like a couple of days off, not that the journey from coast to coast been a chore in any way. Every bit has been a pleasure. 3,066 miles (really) 5000 more to go. Come with us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

100 day ceremony

A volcano and some frogs.