A very bad thing happens.




We left early yesterday to get to the ferry as our gearbox was on the blink.  We had been advised to take the rally route, rather than the more direct way, because there would be no mechanical support for us otherwise. Bad call.  As events unfolded, we would have been far better taking our chances the other way.

We started climbing and climbing, the gear box just about holding out.  The top just never seemed to appear.  It was 12kms of steep, steep road to the summit of the snowy mountain. What goes up must come down and that's where our real problems began. 

You need to use engine breaking with old cars and, with a dodgy gearbox, that was problematic. It was all a bit less than ideal. Adrian was using the brake as little as possible on the 25% gradient descent, but the worst happened and we had complete brake failure.

I like to think that I am a pretty strong person. I don't get fazed easily and just like to get on with things.  But, at that moment, coming down that mountain road in the freezing cold with only two gears and no brakes, my usual fortitude had disappeared.  I'm sorry to say that I cried. Then I felt worse because I don't normally do that, but all my normal tenacity had deserted me.  I felt scared. I've only felt that way once before and that was on a death road in Bolivia. 

Eventually Charlie and Richard appeared, like angels from heaven, in the Defender.  They attached a tow bar and, slowly slowly we made our way down. Sitting in a car being towed is not pleasant, especially on a road that steep and I tried to distract myself by reading the Sunday Times on my iPad. It was not entirely successful. By the time we got to the ferry dock any ounce of strength had left and I dissolved. Everyone was so kind and that made me feel more stupid. 

We picked up a hire car - a tiny Nissan Note was all that was available during the 'Golden Week' holiday.  But who cares? It's got brakes that work and we can drive it all the way to our departure airport. Adrian is just about managing to shoehorn himself in.  



We then had a great drive by through glorious countryside and along the coast to reach our rally hotel. A long soak in the splendid onsen and equilibrium was restored. There followed a very jolly dinner, karaoke and a modicum of beer. We survived.  



Comments

  1. So sorry to read about your Japanese descent, Barbara - in more ways than one! But so pleased to read further and find that you're a.OK again. And back to your usual exuberant and enthusiastic self. Loving seeing all the pictures and hearing about the exploits, I hadn't had Japan down as a place to visit, but I've added it to the (ever-growing) list now! Carry on enjoying yourselves and I'll carry on reading your Blogs and fighting back the green-eyed monster. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

100 day ceremony

Iran